Friday, May 22, 2009

Savoury Dumplings/Chang

Savoury Dumplings, contains of glutinous rice wrapped in bamboo leaves to form a pyramid shape. we can find different fillings in the rice, example, pork, roast pork, chestnut, salted egg yolks, mushroom, abalone & etc...

For me, I normally prepare simple savoury dumplings with ingredients which my family members preferred. The ingredients are, pork belly w/o skin, dried mushrooms, dried chestnuts, salted egg yolks, and green peas w/o skin.


The wrapping up of the dumplings is interesting!!

They are then put into an oval shaped pressure cooker, which is able to cook about 22 dumplings of average size. (1 kg of glutinous rice)


When the safety (red) button arises, it's time to turn down the fire to low, and continue to boil for about 1 hour.

Turn off the fire after 1 hour, but DO NOT OPEN THE COVER!!! Just leave the cooker as it is until the red button goes down as shown below:

Here goes... yummy yummy savoury dumplings!!

4 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Your "Bar Chung" look really delicious, for me, still waiting for my mum to send over to me. Till now, I still can not get a good shape of dumpling after few tried, I think I'm really failed in making dumplings lar...Maybe I should give a try again..let see how..

Annie said...

Hi Sonia, you must try!! It's actually vy easy. hehe if you can bake cake, you sure can make chang!! keep trying until you get it right!! "jia yu" ya.

Bakeling said...

Annie ,it is a clever way to boil the dumpling in the pressure cooker !

Annie said...

Hi Bakeling, thanks for visiting my blog!! nice meeting you, i use to read your blog thro Sonia's link, you take beautiful pictures!! hmm Ipoh is famous for delicious yummy food ya, and beautiful ladies too!! am sure you're one of them!! :)
Yes, boiling dumpling in normal pot takes about 3 hours... but boiling dumpling in pressure cooker takes only 1 hour, and mayb takes another 20 mins to wait for the safety button to come down.. so overall it's about 1 hrs 20min... save time, save gas!!